This April, we are working to raise awareness of oral cancer. During April the American Dental Association works to spread the word about this all-to-fatal cancer. A frequently under-diagnosed cancer, oral cancer affects nearly 50,000 Americans a year. Family dentists Dr. John and Jeremi Arroyo encourage all of their patients to visit our Washington DC dentist office twice a year for oral cancer screenings. Early diagnosis five you a fighting chance at conservative care. Our dental care team provides quick and painless oral cancer screenings at every dental check up.
Know Your Risks
Oral cancer could affect anyone. However, there are certain conditions, lifestyle habits and genetics that may increase your chance of developing oral cancer. Know your risk factors, and be sure to get screened for oral cancer. Risk factors for oral cancer include:
- Tobacco: Smoking, vaping and chewing have all been linked to an increase in oral cancer.
- Gender: Men are twice as likely as women to develop oral cancer.
- Alcohol: Drinking excessively, especially in combination with smoking, increases cancer rates.
- HPV: Exposure to the Human Papillomavirus or HPV increases the risk of oral cancer.
- Diet: A diet high in fat and processed foods has been linked to higher oral cancer rates.
Oral Cancer Screening Washington, DC
Oral cancer screenings take just a few minutes are noninvasive and virtually pain-free. Just a few minutes with your dentist could save your life. Always be sure you are checking your mouth for warning signs and let your dentist know as soon as possible if you spot a change that persists for more than two weeks. Signs of oral cancer include:
- Thickening of soft tissue
- White or red patches
- Lump in the throat
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Hoarseness or soreness of the throat
Schedule An Appointment
This April schedule a dental check-up for you, and your family. Regular visits to Dr. Arroyo or Arroyo may also help diagnosis complex oral health concerns in the earliest stages when they can be addressed with conservative dental treatments. Remember to also brush and floss twice a day to keep your smile bright and healthy! We proudly serve new and returning patients in the Washington DC region. To find out how our comprehensive oral health care can improve your teeth and gums, contact our office or schedule an appointment online. Dr. Arroyo or Arroyo will work with you to build a personal treatment plan to achieve years of beautiful smiles.